donderdag 4 september 2014

How To: Keep Yourself A Happy Crocheter!



Every now and then I see comments on pages and on blogs about "having a bit of crochet stop because my arm/fingers/shoulders/neck is hurting". Ouch. I feel your pain! And it seems to me (and a lot of other people) that there are always people crocheting for hours and hours and hours and finishing projects in record speed.... Not fair..

I want that too. But I know I can't! "My body won't let me and that is okay" has been my mantra for the last three years after getting diagnosed with a tennis elbow.

Crocheting is good for emptying your head, but is not always for your muscles, tendons and maintaining flexibility of your arms and hands.

 Af en toe zie ik op de haak FB pagina's een opmerking staan in de trant van: "Ugh, ik stop even met haken want ik heb last van mijn arm/vingers/schouders/nek". Dan voel ik het meteen zelf. Ik herken het! En het meest oneerlijke vind ik ook (en dat zie ik ook vaak terugkomen) dat er altijd haaksters zijn die uren en uren doorhaken en in een recordtempo haaksels laten zien.

Dat wil ik ook... Maar ik weet dat het niet kan. "Mijn lichaam kan me niet eindeloos laten haken en het is oke" is mijn mantra van de afgelopen drie jaar nadat ik de diagnose "tenniselleboog" kreeg van mijn huisarts

Haken is heerlijk om je hoofd leeg te krijgen, maar helaas niet altijd even lief voor je spieren en pezen en het behouden van flexibiliteit van je handen en armen.

It's those dreaded repeating small movements you make with your yarn and hook. Especially holding that crochet hook!

Now, I really have to tell you I am no health expert but with Christmas coming closer and closer, and lots of people already knitting and crocheting to make all of the presents I thought it would be a good idea to make a post about keeping pain and stiffness during and after crochet sessions at bay.

Het zijn die kleine herhalende bewegingen met je garen en naald die het 'm doen. Vooral het vasthouden van je naald heeft er veel invloed op!

Ik moet heel eerlijk zeggen dat ik geen expert ben, maar met de Kerstmis cadeautjes die nu al gehaakt en gebreid worden leek het me handig om een post te maken om zo veel mogelijk die pijn en stijfheid tijdens en na haaksessies te voorkomen en eventueel te verlichten.

My weak spot
Crochet (and knitting) fall in the same category as triggers for RSI (Repetitive Stress Injuries) just as computering/typing for long time periods. They cause stress on the tendons and ligaments because you are forcing them in a certain position for a long time. This causes muscles in your arms/wrists/hands to tighten up, and that provokes a lot of pulling on the tendons (the tendons attach the muscles to your bones and joints). Normally your muscles will relax after those movements, but the more you make those small movements with too little rest, the more things will tighten up. And the more your muscles tighten up and , the more the tendons tend to tighten up, the more stiffness and the more pain you will feel. The pain you actually feel can be tingling in the ringfinger (numbness), pain in the wrist, pain in the elbow or shoulder and neck. It's a vicieus cycle and can cause a lot of pain and can make you unable to do other activities

Haken (en breien) vallen in dezelfde categorie als muizen en computeren als de oorzaak van RSI (Repetitive Stress Injuries). Doordat je gedurende lange tijd kleine bewegingen maakt en je armen in een bepaalde houding stopt kan het zijn dat je pezen, spieren en gewrichten een hoop stress krijgen te verduren. Het eerste dat er gebeurd is dat je spieren verkrampt raken, ze blijven te lang aangespannen. Hierdoor krijgen je pezen veel spanning te verduren (deze zitten aan de uiteinden van je spieren en vast aan je botten/gewrichten). Hoe meer activiteiten je doet met kleine bewegingen, des te minder tijd hebben je spieren om weer te ontspannen waardoor er te veel spanning op de pezen wordt uitgeoefend. Hoe meer spanning op je pezen, hoe meer spanning ook op je spieren vice versa. Het wordt steeds meer en meer. En dit zorgt ervoor dat je eerst last krijgt van stijfheid die niet meer weggaat, die overgaat in pijn en geen bewegingsvrijheid van je polsen of armen. Au. Het is een vicueuze cirkel.


I got myself a tennis elbow in 2010 after crocheting and knitting way too much (hours and hours every day_. My body just tensed up and the pain told me to quit. In the picture above I am massaging my weakest spot, a big muscle on the top of my forearm. I made adjustments over the years to my crochet routine to keep my crochet addiction going AND keeping my body tools (my right arm mostly) painfree and happy! I have put a few tips together you could try next to the advice the doctor has given you!

Ik kreeg zelf in 2010 een tenniselleboog nadat ik veel maar dan ook veels te veel had gehaakt en gebreid. Mijn arm was verschrikkelijk verkrampt en alles wat ik wilde doen deed pijn. Mijn lichaam wilde niet meer. In de foto hierboven masseer ik mijn zwakke plek: een grote spier die over de bovenkant van mijn onderarm loopt. Ik heb gedurende de afgelopen jaren een hele hoop aanpassingen gedaan aan mijn haak routine om mijn haakverslaving te behouden maar probeer ook lief te zijn voor mijn arm. Hieronder een paar adviezen die je naast het advies van je dokter zou kunnen uitproberen!
(Om het overzichtelijk te houden alleen even in het Engels!)



5 Steps to Keep your Fingers Busy ~ Pain Free

1. Tomorrow is another day. Do not overdo it. Really don't. If you feel any stiffness or pain, please stop (this is the hardest step I know!). I know it would be easy to grap a painkiller, but it will not help you. It will mask the pain and will inflict more damage than listening to your body and take a break.

2. Keep it cool. You are not a machine. There are always those people who churn out project after project. These are just a few people with superhuman powers that can crochet like mad and infinitely. Most crocheters spend days/weeks/months to finish a project. 

3. Crochet in chunks. Limit your time. Ideally I crochet in chunks of 20 minutes, then I take a break. Do laundry, gardening, vacuuming, dishes. Think of anything with big movements.

4. Take care of your muscles. If you can keep your muscles relaxed, your tendons will be happy! I like to massage them (with my knuckles or my thumb of my left hand). If I am feeling particularly stiff I like to take a day off, do stretches, maybe cool with an ice pack or ice bath (I have followed the Tendonitis Expert advice and my own doctors' advice back in the painful tennis elbow days).

5. Let the expert have a look. If you are experiencing a lot of pain and stiffness, please see the health expert! Keep an eye on yourself, take a good look where you are feeling the pain or stiffness and talk about it.

6. Look at your tools. Have a good look to what kind of yarn, hook or situation you are crocheting in. Getting new glasses, working less with 100% cotton, switching to ergonomic Clover/KnitPro/Tulip Etimo hooks and keeping my work in my lap helped enormously!



Do you have any tips for fellow crocheters? Please share!

P.S. Here is a 3 step stretch for a tennis elbow that I do a lot after crocheting. It lengthens the muscles on the top of your whole arm. Basically hold the arm next to your body, twist so that the top of your arm is directed to your body, pull with your free hand the hand towards the arm (gently!)






3 opmerkingen:

  1. Oh goodness, I am so sorry this is happening. A friend of mine is having some major shoulder issues when she crochets and my heart hurts for her. I feel lucky that I have had no issues so far. I will keep your tips in mind. Thank you for sharing.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. The best other blog post I've seen on this issue was last year's from Mikey Sellick (sp?) at The Crochet Crowd. I've had tendinitis in left wrist and elbow - my YARN side, btw. There are a lot of good suggestions here.
    http://thecrochetcrowdblog.com/2013/07/26/why-does-my-hand-hurt/

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Thanks for sharing the tips!! I don't crochet much at a time and since I use hooks without handle, I end up with pain in my palm rather than wrist. Then I keep my crochet project and do cross stitch for few days. This also keeps me interested in both kinds of needlecraft.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

I would love it if you leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting xXx