woensdag 12 maart 2014

I will not freak out...



Yesterday I heard there was an attempt of two man kidnapping a 4 year old in my town. Normally I would shrug and say: what are the odds of happening in my neighbourhood? Heck, I even went out as usual in my university year when there were talks of young girls pulled into vans in the shopping street right around the corner! I am just do not have a very "scared-easily'" side in me.

Afgelopen maandag kreeg ik het nieuwsbericht op mijn persoonlijke FB muur dat er in mijn stad door twee mannen een poging was gedaan om een 4 jarig jongetje te kidnappen. Normaalgesproken maak ik me daar niet zo druk om want tsja hoe groot is de kans nu dat het bij je eigen kind gebeurd? Toen ik student was fietste ik ook gewoon door mijn stad snachts terwijl er berichten waren van meisjes die in bestelbusjes getrokken werden! Ik word hier niet zo gauw bang van.

But today there was a notion that a 9 year old girl was missing in the same area as I live. That is a bit too close to my taste....

Maar vandaag kwam er nog een bericht voorbij (vanmiddag) dat er een 9 jarig meisje vermist is in de wijk waar ik dus woon. Dat is wel even veel te dichtbij voor mijn smaak....

What to do? I do not freak out easily when they stumble and fall. I am not overly protective. I think it is okay to let your kid explore the world on itself in moderation. I do not go out and watch their backs continuously. But I can say that the whole idea of letting Little Lady spreading out her wings in the street (as we did on Sunday, she went along with Little Man playing here and there) was not a comforting one.

En nu? Ik ben niet gauw overstuur als ze struikelen en vallen. Ik ben niet een helicoptermom. Ik vind het helemaal prima als ze de wereld willen verkennen in hun eentje. En ik ga ze ook niet constant in de gaten houden. Maar het hele idee dat we hadden dat de Kleine Mevrouw ook alleen buiten de tuin mocht spelen (dat hebben we zondag ook gedaan, ze ging met de Kleine Man en wat vriendjes mee achter in andere tuinen en het pleintje spelen) is nu niet meer zo geruststellend.


After reading the message to the neighbours the kids were kept in the garden for the last bit of the afternoon. Just in case.
Nadat ik het bericht over het meisje over de schutting had voorgelezen naar de buren hielden we ze maar in de tuin. Voor alle zekerheid.

How to weapon a 5 year old and a 3 year old against adults? Tomorrow I am going to ask Little Man's teacher for some advice and ask if they are doing something in class, teaching them how to interact with strangers (with or without bad intentions).

Hoe wapen je een kind van 5 en een kind van 3 tegen een volwassene? Morgen ga ik vragen aan de juf van de Kleine Meneer of ze advies hebben en wat ze eventueel in de klas al doen aan weerbaarheid zodat Grote Man en ik daarop in kunnen haken.

We are waiting for more news at the moment but it seems the event in which the 4 year old was nearly kidnapped is probably not random. Let's hope sounds awfully wrong, but if there are really men trying to pick up kids at random... I really want my kids to have a nice time and play when they want to and where they want to!

Ik houd het nieuws in de gaten nu, maar vooralsnog lijkt het erop dat het 4 jarige jongetje dat bijna uit zijn buggy was gerukt dat dat niet random was. Ik hoop het maar, ook al klinkt dat enorm gemeen. Want als ze echt random bezig zouden zijn... Ik wil gewoon dat mijn kindjes lekker buiten kunnen spelen en hun vrijheid hebben om in de buurt te struinen!


1 opmerking:

  1. when my daughter was 9, a girl the same age disappeared (in France near where I live) and she has never been found since (more than 10 years ago now). The teacher at that time, he did a sort of "lesson" he asked all the children in the class what they would do if an adult (be it a stranger or not !), man or woman... tried to speak to them... and after that he did a sort of lesson for the children to be aware of, what to do, etc. I think it was good. There are also books on this...
    I would say that any attempt to "isolate" one or two children from the group, after a sport lesson, on any grounds (candies, baby animal to be seen, surprise, 'your mother has asked me to take you from school, etc)
    just say no and run away from this person.
    The hard part is that, often, the aggressor knows the child (neighbour, supervisor...) so the child is confident with this person.
    It's heart breaking - but useful - to teach the children that even if they "know" somebody, they should not trust this person in certain circumstances, that is when they are alone (withoud the parents),
    if this person tries to isolate them from the group, come at home when you are not, attract them somewhere they are alone together, it's "no".
    I told my children that in fairy tales and films bad people look like bad people (it's very convenient). In real life they look just like anyone else...
    that these acts are extreemly rare and they probably never cross the path of someone so bad, but since it exists,
    they have to be aware and careful.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

I would love it if you leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting xXx